21 Apr Stress Awareness Month
April is Stress Awareness Month. It is crucial to have good mental health in order to perform our daily functions well. This month we focus on increasing awareness about stress and strategies that can be used to cope with stress. Stress is a normal part of life, nobody is immune to it. According to the American Psychological Association, most Americans are suffering from moderate to high stress, with 44% reporting that their stress levels have increased over the past five years.
Starting in 1992, Stress Awareness Month serves as a reminder to pay attention to our health. While stress may be a part of our lives, it does not to dominate us. There are many ways to help prevent and manage stress. Take a look at these tips for reducing stress in your life:
– Get adequate rest
– Focus on Breathing
– Reach out to a professional
– Reduce noise and improve lighting
– Practice yoga or relaxation techniques
– Exercise regularly for about 20-30 minutes
– Build strong relationships and fun into your routine
– Establish realistic expectations for yourself and others
– Avoid stimulants like caffeine, alcohol and nicotine that can amplify stress
– Eating a diet full of fresh, whole food helps the body combat stress naturally
Zeiders Behavioral Health Educators and Counselors are honored to help military members and their families deal more effectively with stress through educational services or counseling for personal stress and operational stress control.